Monday, May 14, 2001

LET THE SHOW BEGIN!

So it's been a few weeks since my last report on the friendly neighborhood grocery store-turned-performance-art-piece (and one of these days when I walk in, I'm going to shout at the top of my lungs, "LET THE SHOW BEGIN!") Aside from an invasion by advance troops from the Canadian military (which I'll write about once I recover from the shock), Bizarro ----way's been a bit quiet of late. Normal, almost.

But as they say in the movies, trouble's afoot.

The subtle clue? A tiny sign taped to the front door saying the store would close two hours early Tuesday night... "for construction." Yes, construction... construction that begins at 10 in the evening and presumably is finished before the store reopens the following morning. I can't quite shake the mental image of little gnomes, or dwarves, or something, tinkering into the wee hours of the night.

Of course, Occam's Razor applies perfectly here. The most logical explanation? They're going to burn the place down for the insurance money. I mean, I would if I owned the place, though that might disturb the previously mentioned portal to East Baltimore. And who would want an angry Egg Man on your doorstep at 10 at night?