Wednesday, April 02, 2003

WHAT WE'RE FIGHTING FOR

Sometimes, freedom isn't free. It's $19.95, plus shipping and handling.

Okay, so maybe I'm being one of those evil, cynical, Perrier-swilling, freedom fry-munching nellies. I must admit that looking into this lil' guy's Big Sad Eyes(tm), I get this warm glow inside, much like the night-vision shots from downtown Baghdad of late. And besides, isn't his fully automatic weapon JUST THE CUTEST DARNED THING?

If you can stomach it, there's also a cute 'lil Navy guy, with the same Big Sad Eyes. And if you flip through the pages of my favorite bastion of Right-Thinking journalism (plus James Brady!), Parade Magazine, you'll see a similar ad for an equally armed-to-the-teeth teddy bear.

Look, I'm an army brat, so I mean no disrespect to the military. I think these schlocky, creepily infantile "tributes" are doing a perfectly good job of just that all by themselves.